Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Peachtree Corners 10k recap

This past Saturday I completed my final race of 2012 - the Peachtree Corners 10k.  Sharon and I decided to meet up the night before for a pizza dinner to get some carbs before the race.  I did my usual pre-race ritual and laid out what I planned to wear -
I set my alarm for 6:45 (the race wasn't too far from my house).  When it went off I swore I hit snooze, but I turned it off and woke up at 7:45!!  Nothing better than to start the race day off in a panic!  I threw everything on and ran out the door to pick up Sharon.  Thank goodness the race didn't start until 9:15 so we were okay on time.

We got there and parked, hurried to get our things together, and speed walked to get our bibs.  We didn't have a ton of time, so stretching was fast and probably not enough of it was done.  We did see this guy waiting for the race to start -
 Props to him!  I'm not sure I could run in his costume!

Finally they had us move up closer to the starting line, and we were off!  The course was a loop, so the 5k'ers did it once and the 10k'ers did it twice.  Sharon and I stayed together for a few but then I broke away from her.  The first mile is always tough for me as I try and get into my groove, and seeing that I have been a bad runner and not really doing my training runs like I should, the race as a whole was especially tough.  I even debated on doing the 5k and not the 10k on race day, but I pushed through.

The course was pretty nice..a few hills that I wasn't a fan of, but it did go through a neighborhood, and some of the residents were camped out on their lawns and porches and cheering for the runners.
Between miles 4 and 5 my legs really started to feel fatigued.  I did more walking than I would have liked to have done, but once I got out of the neighborhood on the second loop they started to feel a little better.  I'm not the fastest runner, so by the time I finished the race they had already turned the time clock off!  At least there were still a few people there cheering.
Per my Garmin, I was 6 minutes slower than my last 10k, but considering my lack of training I didn't think it was too terribly bad.  I waited a couple of minutes for Sharon, then walked down to get my finisher's shirt, and as I was walking back up I saw her cross the line.  She went and got her shirt and we walked to the car to head home, but had to get a couple of pictures first!
My awesome mom made the skirt for me, and it was pretty easy!  I can't wait to make more in different colors and add a little sparkle to my runs :)

After the race we made a pit stop at Panera as there wasn't really anything left for us at the race.  A bagel and some water really hit the spot.
 I went home, showered, and took a nap on the couch for a couple of hours.  We had a tacky sweater party to go to that night so I had to get ready and bake my dish.  I'll post pictures of the party later, but it was a lot of fun!

Sunday was hips were KILLING me.  I was walking around like an old woman.  This was the kick in my ass that I needed to get motivated to run more.  I simply cannot not run and expect my body to bounce back after running a 10k!  Today my body finally feels almost back to normal, so I'm going to crank out a 1-2 mile run after work.

I would really love your help!  I am trying to win a month of Crossfit from a local Crossfit box.  If you could go here and "Like" my comment I would appreciate it.  You don't have to "Like" their page...just my comment.  The contest goes until next Friday and the person with the most "Likes" on their comment wins! Right now I'm falling behind!

Until next time,



  1. Nice job on the 10K! Sorry you felt so rough the day after.

  2. Love the skirt! I'm determined to buy a sparkly skirt in 2013 :)

    Nice job on the race. The more you train and run the easier recovery gets.

    I liked your comment. Good luck!


Your comments make me smile :)