Friday, July 12, 2013

Foodie Friday – Spaghetti Squash w/Meat Sauce

Earlier this week while perusing the produce section of my local grocery store, I saw a spaghetti squash and decided that since we hadn’t had it in awhile, it would be a quick and tasty meal to prepare for dinner. 

I tried a different way of cooking the spaghetti squash this time – one that doesn’t take quite as long as it does in the oven (up to 1 hour).  You can cut it and cook it in the microwave and it turns out just as tasty!

FF1 

Spaghetti squash are not the easiest vegetable to cut, as you can see by my cutlery skills in the picture above.  :)  I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the plate just to help keep the squash from drying out.  I also salted and peppered the inner part of the squash before cooking it.  Don’t forget to scoop out the seeds!  An ice cream scoop or large spoon works great.  I cooked mine on high in 5 minute increments.  After each 5 minutes I tested with a knife – when the knife pierced the outside of the squash with ease, I knew it was done (it took mine about 15 minutes.

In the meantime, cook your meat.  I had 93% ground beef, but you could easily use ground chicken, turkey, or sausage.  I seasoned the meat with some salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and a little Worcheshire sauce.

FF2

Once the meat has been browned, add your sauce.  Hubby was disappointed that I didn’t make my own marinara sauce this go round, so maybe next time.  This time I used a bottled sauce.

FF3

I added a little more oregano and garlic powder to the sauce to give it a little more flavor and let it simmer while I finished up the spaghetti squash.

Once the squash has cooked, let it cool a little – it will be too hot to handle!  Take a fork and scrape the insides – it comes out like spaghetti noodles!

FF4

Transfer the squash into a bowl and spoon the meat sauce over it.  Add a little parmesan cheese to it if you like, and enjoy!

FF5

Have a great weekend everyone!

What’s your favorite quick meal?

Until next time,

blog signature

7 comments:

  1. I have the bigggggggest CRUSH on Spaghetti Squash. I buy 5 HUGE squash every 2-3 days and cook them all up and then STUFF MY FACE! It is seriously my "controlled binge" food - LOL!!!!!! ;) I love it with salmon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good...I need to eat it more often!

      Delete
  2. YUM! I love spaghetti squash..always roast in the oven, never thought of the microwave! Great idea for a quick and easy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously so easy...the hardest part was cutting the squash :P

      Delete
  3. That's amazing that it just comes out like that! Definitely trying it this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Let me know what you think :) it's a great low carb alternative to spaghetti noodles :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this recipe!! It comes at the perfect time because I just bought a spaghetti squash on a whim and didn't know how to cook it!! This looks amazing! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)