Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Running with the Pup

Sorry I've been absent!  Honestly, after my run last Tuesday after softball, I slacked off majorly.  I know...bad runner!!  We went up to the cabin and spent the weekend relaxing, and the last thing I wanted to do was run (even though I took all my running stuff with me, it stayed in the bag).

So last night I decided that I would go for a quick one mile run, and take Guinness along with me.  I have the Vinings Downhill 5K next Saturday, and a sticky situation comes with it.  Guinness will be spending 2 weeks with my parents while J and I vacation in Minnesota.  I plan to take him down after the race, but J has a paintball tournament on the same day, and I don't want to drive down to Vinings, then back up to my house to get the pup, then 1.5 hours down to my parents.  I don't have anyone that can watch him while I run.  So....the plan is for Guinness to run the race with me.


Guinness gets a bit of leash time, but not nearly enough.  He's curious and likes to sniff EVERYTHING.  Last night he did pretty good as I tried to keep him away from the edge of the street.  Our biggest problem comes when we meet another dog.  He goes CRAZY - pulling me all over the place.  I know the other dog owners thought I didn't want him to have anything to do with their dogs (which isn't the case) - I just want to teach him to ignore them while we're running!

So we only went a mile, but other than encountering the other dogs, Guinness did pretty well!  We did a 10:56 mile, which isn't too bad.  Maybe him pulling me along will make my time better! :)

I also ran for the first time with the new compression holster shorts.  It wasn't too bad...the pistol stayed put and didn't move around a lot.  I plan to run with it today on my 4 mile run and see how it does then.  I did have to rip the size tag out as it was rubbing and poking my skin.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I'll try to do better about being more consistent with my posts.  I just don't want to post for the sake of posting when I don't have much to say. :)

Anyone have any tips for "training" your dog to run with you?

Until next time,

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Dogs are the best running partners! He'll likely get better at ignoring the other dogs with some more practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run with my dog, too! She loves it and doesn't stop much along the side of the road anymore but it was hard to break her of that. Have a great 5K!! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)