Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Beating the Heat

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  We stayed in the air conditioning about 95 % of the time.  Temperatures in Atlanta were over 100 degrees and it was just too hot to be outside.

Friday on my way home from work!
 We had dinner with some friends Friday night and then pretty much stayed cooped up for the rest of the weekend, with the exception of a couple of trips to the store.  I HAD to get in a 5 mile run this weekend in order to get ready for my 10K in 2 weeks, so as much as I hate the mornings, I vowed to get up early Sunday to get it done.


The alarm clock went off at 6 a.m. and J almost had to literally push me out of bed.  Once I was up, I was good to go.  It was still a little warm, but nothing compared to what it would be later in the day -


There weren't too many cars at the trailhead when I got there so the trail was nice and quiet.  I stretched myself out and started my run.  I think I found the perfect run/walk interval ratio for myself.  I did well with a 2:00/1:00 interval.  I've tried running as far as I can right out of the gate, but I find that once I'm out of steam it's really hard to recover and get my momentum back, so I'll be sticking with this method for now.  Once I hit the halfway point, I paused my run and took a few pictures of my surroundings.  The clouds were probably my favorite picture

Beautiful morning for a run


Halfway point - time to turn around!
I feel like we're getting to the distance where Sharon and I will need to park one car at the start of our run and another at the end.  The closest park that the Big Creek Greenway runs through isn't too far from the point I turned around.  On my way back to the car, I passed many more runners and cyclists, and by the time I got there the parking lot was almost full.  My run was decent - 5 miles in 58 minutes.  Then it was home to shower, wake up J, and head to breakfast.


I've seen quite a few of the bloggers I follow participate in a Foodie Pen Pal program that Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean hosts.  It sounds like a pretty neat program, but intimidating at the same time!  Some of the items that people have sent look amazing and I worry that I will disappoint the person I'm matched up with.  We get our monthly pen pal on Thursday so hopefully this will be a success and I will continue to participate.


Sharon and I signed up for a virtual 5K for this week that benefits the Wounded Warrior project.  We're planning to meet up tomorrow morning to get it done.  We considered doing it over the weekend but since we need to get one more long run in before our 10K on the 15th, we opted that midweek would make more sense.


I want to say congratulations to my blogger friend Bethi over at Disney Mommi, on welcoming her new princess, Claudia, into the world yesterday!


Tonight J and I are headed to Turner Field to watch the Braves play the Chicago Cubs, and then maybe a pool day for the 4th along with some tasty (and healthy!) eats for dinner.


Good luck to everyone running the Peachtree Road Race tomorrow morning!  I hope to join you next year :)


Got fun plans for the 4th?


Until next time,

Jen

3 comments:

  1. You'll do fine with the foodie penpal thing :D If you ask the right questions, your penpal will make it easy for you to pick out the right stuff. It's amazing how fun it is to choose items and how hard it gets to limit yourself once you get going lol. I have a 5k planned for tomorrow and may go to a concert later for the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so funny that you mention the Foodie Pen Pal...July is the first one I am participating in as well! And I am right there with you with equal parts excitement/intimidation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing things like this and really like to put a lot of thought into it and make sure the recipient is going to like my package, so hopefully it goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)