Monday, April 22, 2013

2013 Boulder Dash 5k recap

This race was really a last minute decision for me.  With Warrior Dash being moved from May 4th to April 13th, it conflicted with Boulder Dash, which was the first official 5k that I ever ran.  Part of me wanted to run it, but the other part wasn’t sure how my body would handle two races in one day.  I asked J if his company was a sponsor this year, and he got me all signed up.  Oh boy…here goes nothing!

I did my normal night before the race routine and laid out my clothes…only this time I had two sets ready to go -

BD1

I decided to also include the “Running Over Battens” virtual run with the Boulder Dash.  I ran those 3.1 miles for little miss Olivia!

BD2

This race starts about a mile from our house and had a start time of 9 a.m., so it was nice not to have to get up super early to go run!  I believe I left the house at 8 so I would have enough time to park, get my number, and hang out.

BD3

I was missing my running buddies at the race this year! Ali, Sharon, and Shannon, I wish you were here!

I still had some time to kill so I walked around a bit, listened to the DJ, ate my pre-race bar, and stretched.  My quads were still a little sore from Crossfit so I was trying to stretch out as much as I could.

BD4   BD6

I learned last year that this race doesn’t have a timing mat at the beginning of the race, so I got as close to the front as I could without imposing on the faster runners.

BD5

The race started a few minutes late but nothing major.  I always stay to the right for my run/walk intervals.  I haven’t been consistently running since the Publix half, so I wasn’t sure how well I would do.  We went up Ronald Reagan Parkway and made our way into the quarry.  It’s a gravel road, which I’m not a huge fan of since I’m always afraid of twisting my ankle or knee, but I made it out okay.  Saw this cute sign as we entered -

BD7

This race was not a good one for me.  My still sore quads combined with rocks in my shoes and not constantly training caused me to do more walking than I normally would have.  I was 2 minutes slower than last year!!!  I was soooo incredibly mad at myself, but at the same time it’s my own fault.  We live and learn from our races.

BD8

Once I finished, I gave them my chip off my bib and made my way up to the water station, which was being manned by J’s company, Hansgrohe.  I knew a couple of the guys that were working it so I stopped to say hello and then chatted with his boss for a few.  Ran up to get my race shirt and hurried to my car…I had to get home and changed for my next race – Warrior Dash!  Little did I realize that my not so great race day was going to get worse…look for that recap later this week!

Have you ever done worse in a race that you’ve run before?

Until next time,

blog signature

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been running long enough to have a race repeat, YET. I already know I want "rematches" with a few races (which I think is hilarious).

    It's probably a good thing this race was more low key with Warrior Dash still on deck, even if your time was 2min behind last year's time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has happened to me and yes, its incredibly disappointing, but i had to look at it in a different light to remind myself i wasnt in the same llace asi was the year before. :0\ Congrats on another 5K! Cant wait to hear about warrior dash...sorry it wasnt a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! A 5K that I rocked the previous year - last year I went out WAAAAY too fast trying to keep up with the hubs and was wrecked for the last mile! Don't beat yourself up too much over this one - you know that if you had been consistently training, you would have killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has definitely happened to me, good news is...it's not the end of the world. I know it sucks and its hard not to beat yourself up, but if anything it gives you motivation to go back and attack it next year. Totally happens though, I'm my own worst critic but I am learning to accept things like this as learning experience and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two races in one day! You go, girl! Can't wait to see how the Warrior Dash went. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)