Friday, April 19, 2013

Foodie Friday – “Pocket Bread”

I am so excited that spring has FINALLY decided to show up and summer is right around the corner!

Growing up, I remember always having a dish my mom referred to as “Pocket Bread”.  This was one of my absolute favorite dishes I looked forward to and I still love making it today.

Here are the ingredients you will need -

*Flat Iron Steak (you could also use a London Broil)
*Salt and Pepper
*Garlic Powder and/or minced garlic
*oregano
*Worchestershire sauce (I use the low sodium)
*Dale’s marinade (also use the low sodium)
*red wine
*your choice of pita bread (white, whole wheat, onion, etc)
*low fat sour cream
*lettuce
*tomato
*cucumbers

First, cube the steak into small pieces or strips. 

pocket bread1  

Put them in a large Ziploc bag.  Add the salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, Worchestershire sauce, Dale’s, and red wine.  I don’t have any exact measurements as I just pour however much I feel is enough into the bag, depending on how much meat I have.  Mix it all together and put in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours (I usually do this the night before)

pocket bread3  pcoket bread4 

When you’re ready to cook, heat up a skillet or wok on medium heat and pour the meat and marinade into the skillet.  Cook until the meat is still a little wet and almost all of the liquid is gone.

pocket bread6   pocket bread5

Cut your pita bread in half and pop them in the microwave to get them soft.  Open up the bread and smear sour cream on the inside.

pocket bread9   pocket bread8

Fill it with your meat, lettuce, tomato (I forgot these at the store), and cucumbers and enjoy!

 pocket bread10 pocket bread11 pocket bread12

Please let me know what you guys think of this recipe if you decide to try it.  I hope you like it as much as I do!

pocket bread13

Tomorrow I’m doing the Dirty Girl Mud Run with my friend Jessica and her sister.  Look for a recap next week!  I also have some pretty good giveaways coming up so stayed tuned :)

Have a fantastic weekend!

Until next time,

blog signature

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! My mom used to make me pita sandwiches in my lunch as a kid (oh the memories of someone making my lunch for me...hmmm)

    Have fun at the mud run tomorrow! Looking forward to reading about it and seeing pictures of your muddy self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pictures with this recipe and how it's another one of your family favorites! Have a great time at Dirty Girl tomorrow, I wanted to run it but it overlapped with A-Day (maybe next year?). I'm sure it will be a million times better than Warrior Dash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy yum! This sounds delicious! I'll definitely have to try it!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! It's one of my favorite summer meals to make :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)