Thursday, October 25, 2012

Should I Go Bi?

I mentioned a few months back that J and I will be spending 2 weeks in Hawaii next February (can't believe it's a little over 3 months away!)  I have set a goal for myself to run at least one race in each of the 50 states, so why wouldn't I check out to see if there are any races in Hawaii while we're there??

Source
 About once a week I've been using Google to search for any 2013 races happening the weekend we're there, and I've had no luck...until today.  The Waikiki Swim Club is hosting the Valentine's Biathlon on February 10th...a 5k run...and a 1k swim.  ::gulp::

Source
I am a little afraid of the ocean.  Not so much of the creatures (my dad always says "everything in the ocean will bite you, sting you, or eat you) but when I was 5 or 6, I was out on an inner tube and floated far enough from shore that I couldn't get back in on my own.  Hearing my mom freaking out on the beach put more panic in me, and my dad had to swim out and tow me back in.  Ever since I have been extremely wary of the ocean.  I'm a decent swimmer, but I've never swam out in open waters with tides and waves before.

I've never done a competitive swim, much less a biathlon, so I have no idea what I am supposed to wear!  I looked through the pictures on their website to see what kind of clothing the women were wearing...I saw tri suits, running apparel, and even a woman who just ran in her one piece! (That's not happening with me).  Do I need to wear a swim cap?  Goggles?  Do I need to buy any special pieces of clothing?  How does the transition work?  So.Many.Questions.

I know there are still a few months left for possibly just a run to pop up, but if it doesn't it looks like this could be my only choice.  So I'm asking you...my wonderful readers...for you help, advice, encouragement...anything you have to offer.  Should I do it even if I find just a race?  Help!

Until next time,

Jen

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED the title!
    If you're bi-curious...GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!!
    I mean the race!!!
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!!! It sounds like an amazing experience! I'd def try it given the opportunity!!! Stay beautiful! Spa<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it! You won't regret it.

    Open water is a lot less scary than it sounds. They have support and buoys and lifeguards and kayakers... I could go on. That's a great distance for it to still be fun and not ruin your vacay thinking about it or over analyzing.

    I use a tri-suit, but I wouldn't suggest buying one for only this event. I have seen girls swim in compression shorts and a sports bra and then throw a tank over. (or in a one piece then put on bottoms and a top)

    No matter what you decide to do, have fun, but watch out because you might get bitten by the bug!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)